Sunday, April 24, 2011

Story #12 - Three Little Words

Hi everyone! Man, I'm tired. I'm back home now, but I didn't get back 'till 2 AM. And now it's back to school already! Spring break sure passes quickly. Anyways, about this story - it's a true story about I not-so-great friend I had in elementary school. There's a bit of teen angst (even though technically I wasn't a teen in 6th grade). A huge thank you to everyone who commented on my previous story - I've never written horror before and I really appreciate the feedback. As always, I'd love feedback on this story too. Happy reading!

Title: Three Little Words
Warnings: depressing... bad friendship... negative feelings
Summary: "Today, I would finally do it. I'd finally say "I hate you" to my best friend of over six years."
Length: ~1,200 words
Notes: First person point of view, past tense. Genre is memoir, and inside of that, probably drama or angst.



THREE LITTLE WORDS

I sat in the bathroom stall in my elementary school, gathering my courage. The stall was small, cramped, and gray. I stared up at the sullen spitballs on the pockmarked ceiling. Today, I would finally do it. I’d finally say “I hate you” to Beatrice, my best friend of over six years.
I had first met Beatrice in kindergarten. We became friends almost immediately and went everywhere together. I don’t know why we bonded so quickly, but very soon she was my BFF – best friend forever. Sadly, “forever” was turning out to be pretty short.
I switched my gaze from the spitballs to my feet, clad in sneakers and dangling on the floor as I sat on top of the toilet lid. My sneakers were dirty and old. They were the kind that lit up when I walked. I thought they were so cool, but Beatrice called them dorky. She called everything I owned or liked dorky.
Beatrice was never a perfect friend. But we had a lot of fun together, sometimes. I could remember times when we laughed for what felt like hours over a silly little thing. Times when we talked and played and smiled.
Those times seemed very far away as I sat there in the bathroom stall. They seemed as far away as Pluto, as another universe, as my own death. As I stared sightlessly at my sneakers, I thought of other times, moments as close as my injured heart.
The time when Beatrice chased me around the playground to get a piece of my cookie and knocked it on the floor. The time when a pretend game went a bit too far and she hit me. The time when she told me to lie to my mom. All those times when she accused me of “ditching” her, when she scared away my other friends so she could have me all to myself.
Even closer in my mind were all the times she had called me a dork. I was a dork because I wore sneakers with socks and shorts. I was a dork because I wore matching close. I was a dork because I read my book vertically and not horizontally on my desk. Dork, dork, dork – that’s all I heard around Beatrice anymore. That and weak. I had to learn how to stand up for myself, Beatrice constantly told me.
As I sat there reviewing the ways our friendship had gone sour – the ways it had been sour all along – I felt a poisonous coil of hatred wind around my heart. Beatrice was right, in a way. I did need to learn how to stand up for myself. Little did she know that I would begin that process by standing up to her. For years, my classmates had known me only as “Beatrice’s friend” or the “short, shy girl”. I had lost my identity to Beatrice’s greedy, bossy mouth. But no longer. Today was going to be the day.
Courage and hatred finally gathered, I stepped out of that dismal bathroom stall and headed to the sink. Every step of the way, I rehearsed. I would go up to Beatrice and simply say, “I hate you.” That would be that. She would be shocked, I would be victorious, and we could either salvage this facsimile of a friendship or scrap it. I hate you, I thought as I washed my hands. The cold shock of the water did nothing to interrupt my focus, the constant litany of images – Beatrice yelling at me, sneering at me, making me cry. I hate you.
I walked out of the bathroom as if I was walking out to a battlefield. That’s what it felt like, as melodramatic as it may seem. Beatrice was waiting for me outside, arms crossed in irritation.
Beatrice was pale, even paler than I was. She had a few freckles and dark brown hair that almost looked black. She was short – only a bit taller than I was. She was the face I had looked up to almost half of my life, a face nearly as familiar as my own. Maybe even more familiar. At that moment, the only thing I could think of when I looked into her blue eyes was, I hate you. I wonder if she could see that hatred lurking beneath my own eyes.
“Where were you yesterday?” Beatrice asked before I could say a word. Her voice grated on my ears.
“What do you mean?” I replied in confusion, my thoughts temporarily thrown off their cyclic hatefest. What was she talking about? “I was here.”
“No,” Beatrice insisted. “During lunch, you weren’t there. Were you ditching me?”
I barely resisted the urge to roll my eyes. It was always like this with Beatrice. If I wasn’t with her all of the time, I was “ditching” her. I couldn’t be friends with anyone else. I used to think that I didn’t need other friends, but now I was having second thoughts. I hadn’t realized how twisted my friendship with Beatrice was until she crossed the line with this “dork” business. Maybe if I had other friends, I would understand what friendship was supposed to be like. Because surely it wasn’t supposed to be like this.
I wasn’t going to dignify her accusation with a response. At least, not in the form of defending myself. I was sick and tired of defending myself from her, of giving her all of my food, of giving her all of myself and getting nothing in return but grief and thanklessness. I thought of how angry I was at her, how angry I’d been throughout all of my friendship. I mustered up the last of my courage and opened my mouth, but Beatrice spoke first.
“You know what, Julianna?” she said in a tone so nasty it stopped me cold. “I hate you. You’re so clueless and you’re such a dork. I don’t even know why I’m friends with you – you’re always dumping me. I hate you.”
I could only stand there speechless. Not so much at Beatrice’s words than at the knowledge that, once again, Beatrice had beaten me. By being the one to say “I hate you” first, she had gotten the last word, and I was the one standing there trying not to cry.
Beatrice turned up her nose and walked away huffily. I knew that she would be back apologizing tomorrow, and I would forgive her, as I always do. We had more fights than the most cliché married couple ever, usually started by Beatrice and ended by me.
That’s the thing about Beatrice saying “I hate you” – it hurt, but it wasn’t like she hadn’t said much worse things before. Here's the thing, though - if I had been the one to say those three little words, things would I been different. I firmly believed this. I had never said “I hate you” to anyone. I never said a mean word to anyone. Today I had been ready to change that. For a few minutes, I had held the power to make or break our friendship in my unsaid words. I felt all of that power bleed out as I walked Beatrice walk away.
I hate you too, I thought, but didn’t say anything. After all, I was a weak little dork who never stood up for herself. Why would today be any different?

THE END

5 comments:

  1. Writing about strong universal themes such as friendship, control, hate can be difficult, risking being overstated or trite, but you execute masterfully. Controlled angst, nicely conveyed. You have the last word here, and it is powerful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. omg! This story is amazing! I love it. The theme is really strong, and I can totally relate to it! :) It's making me think of my life now. >_<

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a depressing Easter story! You had so much terrible stuff going on in elementary school! But even though this ends on a totally hopeless note, at lest you know that you’re better than “beatrice” now! Great story, a good way to make the reader empathise with you, and great moments picked out as examples to illustrate Beatrice’s depravity. I felt so bad by the end, and knowing that it was real is so much worse!

    (mini-oopsie): because I wore matching close

    I’d finally say “I hate you” to Beatrice, my best friend of over six years. - good irony to start it out, and sets the mood, because you weren’t quite ready to stop considering her a “friend,” but the sarcasm tells you that you know that she’s not really a friend.

    Sadly, “forever” was turning out to be pretty short. - sad little moment, but well placed.

    I switched my gaze... called them dorky. - great description, great tying it in with the conflict in the story, and then great taking this one very specific example and generalising. Much better than simply saying “She called everything I owned or liked dorky,” you let us see how it is, and then tell us how this is the rule and not the exception.

    They seemed as far away as Pluto, as another universe, as my own death. As I stared sightlessly at my sneakers, I thought of other times, moments as close as my injured heart. - amazing imagery, so good I could not ellipsis any of it! The far away as your own death seems real deep and a little creepy. Also, the contrast is really striking. The vagueness of the “good times” goes nicely with the great details you give us of the rest.

    when she scared away my other friends so she could have me all to myself. - the way you phrase it totally sounds like an abusive relationship. it resonates with anyone who has been in or knows someone who has been in such a predicament. And we all can see the difficulty of struggle, knowing how hard those are to get out of.

    I was a dork because ... that’s all I heard around Beatrice anymore. - great detailed examples! either you have a superb memory, or it was so traumatising that it burned itself forever into your brain!

    That and weak. I had to learn how to stand up for myself, Beatrice constantly told me. - so terribly ironic it is pitiful!

    poisonous coil of hatred - great image!

    For years, my classmates had known me only as “Beatrice’s friend” - another great example that hits the reader with just how far this has gone, unexpected and striking.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I walked out of the bathroom as if I was walking out to a battlefield. - great!

    Beatrice was waiting for me outside, arms crossed in irritation. - good gesture to introduce her, and her presence right outside the toilet gives us the sense that she really does follow you everywhere.

    Maybe even more familiar - another terrifying hit-the reader-in-face-with-full-extent-of-issue moment!

    Beatrice asked before I could say a word. - so sad, because we know it’s lost the moment she utters a word, even i we like to pretend otherwise. You do a great job showing how she can immediately get the upper side of the “fight”

    I mustered up the last of my courage and opened my mouth, but Beatrice spoke first. - this moment was so awful! the reader is jumping for joy the moment you prepare yourself, but you bring them right back to earth, and remind us that she is always first to make the move. such an awful climax! (but so well done!)

    I knew that she would be back ... and I would forgive her, as I always do. - this is the worst, that realisation that there really is no escape. It is a very depressing denouement, but realistic, and heightened by the realisation that you are not still friends with beatrice.

    I felt all of that power bleed out as I walked Beatrice walk away. - that is the worst, and you portray it admirably. This story really evokes the reader’s sympathy, unless you’ve got one really cold reader! Even beatrice herself would have to feel bad for you!

    After all, I was a weak little dork who never stood up for herself. Why would today be any different? - I have nothing against depressing endings. In fact, I often employ them. Also, I don’t want to end this praise with a depressing critique, but this is indeed VERY depressing. Is it possible, maybe, in a revised draft, to mention in a few paragraphs how you finally got out of this? (I’m hoping that you did!) It might make others feel better, and I know it would make me feel better. Especially in memoir, I think it’s good to resolve issues unless they are still ongoing issues in your life. Everyone likes to read about someone overcoming something, not failing! A sad ending is so hard to pull off, and you need the reader to be able to answer the inevitable question - why did I just spend ten minutes of my life reading that? A resolution provides the answer, but, if you’re not going to have one, there needs to be something else. If this is sarcasm or irony, maybe make that a little more obvious. Otherwise, this last sentence, though true to the story and reality, seems a little hopeless and angsty.

    Depressing critique aside, great memoir, and so sad. A great portrayal of a hopeless problem. And I apologise for the ranty ending, but you just got me very sad, and I don’t want you to be responsible for any suicides. Okay, just kidding. But seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  5. very well-written story, julianna.
    i'm truly sorry for the conflicting friendship. it must feel good to vent.
    i hope that the true friendships you have now have helped you heal and be happy with people who care about you. you definitely deserve caring friends. :)

    ReplyDelete